Dr. T. J. Lafeber, Distinguished Veterinarian
1925 – 2001
The story of pet bird food & nutrition is, in many ways, the story of Dr. T.J. Lafeber (right), who graduated from Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1949.
During the late 1960′s and early 70′s, Dr. Lafeber’s pet bird hospital was the largest in the United States. He was even asked by the American Veterinary Medicine Association to chair a newly formed committee on avian medicine in the 1960’s.
As Dr. Lafeber treated hundreds of pet birds over many years, he recognized that malnutrition was a common problem. When Dr. Lafeber investigated the bird foods available on the market at that time, he soon discovered that most of the foods were various types of seed mixes, all of them deficient in certain vitamins, minerals, and protein.
In the early 1970′s, Dr. Lafeber began experimenting with a pelleted food for birds. Initially, he made the pellets in a small mill in the rear of his animal hospital and dispensed the food to bird owners. In the late 1970′s, Dr. Lafeber purchased 5 acres of farmland from his father and it was on this site that Lafeber Company was born.
Dr. Lafeber’s desire to provide pet birds with a high-quality, nutritious diet became the driving force behind Lafeber Company. Throughout the history of Lafeber Company, quality has been the key to our success. Attention to the ingredients used in the pet bird food product line along with a strong focus on the needs of our customers have helped Lafeber Company establish a reputation as one of the premier companies in the pet food industry. Our mission to this day revolves around the simple premise Dr. Lafeber established many years ago:
Working For the Health of Birds